“A word after a word after a word is power.”–Margaret Atwood

A writer brings words to life, and those words have the power to elevate another life. A reader is invited into the writer’s world – familiar, comforting, inspiring, or encouraging. That power is why a Christian writer ought to pray and reflect upon his/her content to cause or create a Godly influence for his/her reader

According to John Piper “If you’re not praying that what you write will influence people it is because you don’t believe in what about you’re writing”

Indeed, Christian writers should seek to influence readers by pointing them to God. It is only God who can turn a word into a seed, and have it germinate to produce fruits. Yet often you find yourself in a dilemma.

For example, when I believe in a promise that hasn’t yet born fruit for me, I tend to find myself wondering “What if I convince someone to believe this promise and it does not come to pass as I say?”

But listening to this message from John Piper gave me a very insightful perspective on being a Christian writer. I never set out to become a Christian writer, but life is full of surprises and you never know what ‘life, dream, gift, calling, etc, is in store until you venture out.

It is not your duty to make it happen, but your influence can lead to strengthening another’s relationship with God or reassuring them of the promises of God.

Photo by Pixabay on Pexels.com

Qualities of Christian Writers – According John Piper

Whenever you write, highlight that God is better than anything else in the world, the path of sin is worse than anything else in the world, and make the path of righteousness look beautiful in spite of all the difficulties that the path of obedience might bring.

• Writers should love people and have good intentions towards their readers
  • Writers should seek to glorify God in their writing by winning them over to God.
  • Writers should seek to show readers the goodness and love of God.
  • Awaken their readers’ souls to hunger for God and delight in Him.

If you discover a cure for a deadly disease will you hide it from loved ones in need or will you gladly share with them?  God is much more appealing than the cure because He is the creator of life itself. Therefore, a writer needs to seek, desire, and pray to influence his/her readers.

Words: Why Write

Photo by Josh Hild on Unsplash
  • You write for personal edification, to bring clarity to murky thoughts or situations.
  • To help universalize human nature and human struggle. When you express your experience a reader can find themselves in your story. Of course, that can either be good or not so good.
  • “You can make anything by writing.” –C.S. Lewis. Writing is a tool for creation and peacemaking.
  • Since writing is an extension of living, writing gives you a chance to live a full life by bringing the inside out and making an intangible tangible

Thinking Backwards as a Writer – John Piper

And when you start at the end, you think backward into other questions:

• What does that mean for the kinds of words I use?
  • The kinds of sentences I use?
  • The paragraphs I use?
  • The lengths of things I write?
  •  The cultural illustrations I employ?

“Writers should utilize their influences carefully, while allowing the process of writing to open their own eyes, and shape their own souls”

As you begin to ponder upon these questions or implications, it is sobering to realize that you are on this planet to influence people. Everyone is an influence, so be conscious of what kind of influence you have on your readers. Pray for that influence and keep writing. Thank you for reading, and I hope you find this message inspiring to encourage to keep writing no matter what, whether you publish or let your writing showcase God’s glory. Stay Blessed Always!

Related Post

34 thoughts on “Importance of a Writer’s Influence?

1. ayansolaibukun – Faith, Relationships, Family, Reviews, Creative Writing

This post further emphasizes the significance or role of the writer, especially the Christian writer. God has given us the creative ability to be able to add value and make positive impacts on others. We must see ourselves as instruments in God’s hands to perpetuate his will.

This is enlightening and instructive, Marie. More wisdom for you.

Amen and amen . Wow I feel so humble, and grateful for your kind words.

I’m speechless , for your amazing summary of this post. Indeed, we’re God’s tools/instruments to use for his will and glory

Thank you, Ayansola for your usual grateful wisdom, and thoughtful insights. I appreciate it very much.

2. ayansolaibukun – Faith, Relationships, Family, Reviews, Creative Writing

My pleasure. It’s always refreshing to read something from you.

How’s your day coming?

I’m glad you feel that way. The pleasure is mine as well .

My day is coming up great, getting ready for an evening class. Hope yours is coming along great, too

1. ayansolaibukun – Faith, Relationships, Family, Reviews, Creative Writing

Cool. Learn for two

The day is almost over here. It was a good one.

Awesome, I’ll do so

Have a wonderful evening!

3. Era – I am Doctor by profession who loves to write poetry and articles , a mental health enthusiastic , nature lover and very much interested in history and mythology .

Very well written, Marie
    Words have power and with words, we can indeed make a positive and powerful impact

Thank you so much, Era. I appreciate it .

Well said , so true. Words have powerful impact, indeed .

Always a pleasure Marie

Awesome

4. Olayinka Ofi
    Olayinka Ofi says:

I’m glad I read this. We sometimes belittle the power of our pen forgetting that our God is multidimensional and would love to be expressed in whatever forms including the use of words . Our instruction is that our light shines and that men see our good works, to the end that God be glorified.
    Thanks for taking the time to express those inspirations by writing them down.

Thank you, Olayinka, for reading , and commenting, too. I appreciate it so much. Very insightful and thoughtful

You’re absolutely right, our part is to let God shine through the words we use.

You’re more than welcome, Olayinka.

5. Rishika Jain – I am just a kid who is trying to find her way in the world.
    Rishika Jain says:

I agree with everything you’ve written here, Marie. Every time we read a book, we come out a different person, something changes. If that doesn’t happen, that book has failed to be a book. Lovely post, love it!

Thank you, Rishika, I’m honored to hear that.

Thank you so much for your wonderful insights. I appreciate it so much as usual . I’m glad you loved it.

You’re right, a reader’s life changes one way or the other after an encounter with the author through reading . Stay blessed

1. Rishika Jain – I am just a kid who is trying to find her way in the world.
        Rishika Jain says:

The pleasure is all mine, Marie.I couldn’t agree more with you. Thank you so much for your best wishes! You too

You’re more than welcome, Rishika

Well said Marie, words have power and Christian writers have a responsibility to glorify God and impact someone’s life through their words.
    I really like that you emphasised the importance of seeking God as we write so that our words align with His will and purpose.
    Blessings dear. May the Lord continue to bless you and enable you to touch others through your writing.

Thank you, dear, for those words of encouragement. I’m blessed to have you here.

So true, God’s words have power and must be handled through grace and truth. So that he gets all the glory at the end when a life is impacted by it.

Amen and amen. Thank you for the wonderful prayer, dear . May we all continue to grow in his grace and wisdom as we write .

7. Wise Hearted – As the heading of my posts says, I desire to be wise hearted in all that I do. I, along with my husband are Member Care reps for New Tribes Mission, serving in 6 southwest states. We have served in two countries, Bolivia, South America then later in Papua New Guinea. I love the phrase, "Life is in Christ" because the years I searched for life were the most frustrating of my 69 years. At 35 an aggressive soul wining church knocked on our door. They shared the pure gospel, and after a few weeks of wrestling with my old sinful nature, I accept God's grace through His Son for me. Life has been an adventure since them, every day expecting God to more in my life so I can help others learn Life is in Christ. My husband and I have two children and six grand children and live in southern California.
    Wise Hearted says:

The above was exactly what I needed to read for encouragement to continue on writing my book and even blogging. Blogging is so much easier then writing a book. I feel so inadequate writing a book. I have a passionate desire to help others through my writing. I must get back to writing my book…been lazy lately, so much going on so I have put it aside. It easier to comment on others blogs but then I gleam so much good like I did from yours. Thank you.

Wow, I’m truly glad that you find this post helpful.

Thank you for reading and commenting. It is not easy to do what you did, so vulnerable and sincere.

Life is full of wonders and wounds, and we each have our own share. Some more than others and sometimes more overwhelming and other times less. You’re not alone, and waiting periods are never wasted. They can be very useful parts of the book you’re writing. Keep writing word after word, sentence after sentence etc,. May the Lord give you strength to persever until the end and publish your book as a reward . Stay blessed

8. Bro George – The greatest secret of life is faith
    Bro George says:

This is a must read for all. Awesome post Marie

Thank you, George, for your kinds words. I appreciate it . Stay blessed

9. Hanna
    Hanna says:

This is a great reminder! I don’t consider myself a writer but I have things I can share. Praying that all words come from the Holy Spirit whenever I write. Thank you!

Thank you, Hanna. I appreciate it so much.

Amen to your prayer. Nothing is ever too small especially when it is done in love, and for the glory of God. Stay blessed .

10. Saron Kidanekal – Jesus is my everything❤ i'm a medical student who loves poetry
    SaronKidanekal says:

This is an amazing post. Thank you for sharing.

“As every man hath received the gift, even so minister the same one to another, as good stewards of the manifold grace of God.”
    (1 Peter 4:10)
    If writing is what we are called to do, then we should definitely use it to touch people’s hearts and turn them to God. We should all try to become stewards of the manifold grace of God through our writing.

Thank you, Saron. I appreciate your thoughtful insights.

So true, we should always become God’s stewards as we write to encourage one another .

Thank you, once again, and stay blessed .

11. ayansolaibukun – Faith, Relationships, Family, Reviews, Creative Writing

Hallo Marie. Been ‘couple of days’ since I read something from you. Trust you’re doing great.

Checking up on you.

Hi Ayansola, good to hear from you. Thanks for checking on me. All is well and God is good. Had a lot on my plate. But God is faithful