As a therapist in the making, I love helping people with mental health and I also understand the stigmatization, yet I do not post more about “How to overcome or to deal with such and such mental health often” because I care about the wellbeing of those that read my blogs. I feel responsible should their situation gets worse. It is a great dilemma that I face every day. How do I help people without contributing to the self-medication society? That’s why I love to use common themes such as “Love, Hope, Rejection, Encouragement, Perseverance, Faith, etc’ to instill hope in people to hold on and not give up, because everything that has a beginning also has an ending.

Photo by Pixabay on Pexels.com

That being said, having tips alongside professional help can go a long way. Being proactive is a great spirit to have when dealing with emotional or mental health matters.

Stay strong and avoid self-medication as much as possible. It is a hard and long process, and no one can truly imagine what you’re going through because they’re not in your shoes. But their empathy and compassion can help you cope better.

Mental Health: Practical Help

Meditation: It is important because it can change your brain

Loved Ones: Surround yourself with loved ones, and encourage them to better understand you in your journey through psychoeducation

Music: Listening to music can help a great deal but be careful of your choice of music

Reading: Sometimes it is hard to focus when dealing with emotional or mental health problems but reading can help. Maybe 10 to 15 minutes per session spread through your day or week

Writing/Poetry: Expressing feelings and thoughts can be very useful. You don’t need to share, but take it out of your head instead of ruminating on it

Exercise: Long-distance walking or running can help release natural dopamine. You don’t always have to go to the gym

Cooking: Preparing a simple meal boosts your confidence, which is very important when dealing with emotional and/or mental health matters. Sometimes doing something with immediate results is essential

Photo by Pixabay on Pexels.com

There are many more mindfulness and breathing exercises but you don’t have to overwhelm yourself activities. Do what makes you feel relaxed or calm without depending too much on self-medication because it causes more harm than good and doesn’t tackle the root causes.

Stay safe, and have hope that the best is yet to come, and God is always on your side no matter what.

Thank you for reading. Happy Wellness Wednesday. Stay Blessed Always!

Reference

Harris, K. M., & Edlund, M. J. (2005). Self-Medication of Mental Health Problems: New Evidence from a National Survey. Health Services Research, 40(1), 117–134. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1475-6773.2005.00345.x

11 thoughts on “Mental Health & Self Medication Part 2

2. Joel Abakah – Words are simply children that my thoughts nurture into phrases and sentences🌸🌸
    Joel Abakah says:

Exercise, poetry and nusic does the trick for me. It helps me clear my mind, get to know what really is bothering me, and I get so much better afterwards

That is so awesome, I’m glad you found what works for you because it is one of the biggest struggles most people are facing.

Expressive writing in general helps clear the mind, and the soul (emotions and feelings)

Thank you so much for your usual thoughtful insights. Stay blessed

3. ayansolaibukun – Faith, Relationships, Family, Reviews, Creative Writing

These are useful tips. I’m getting to learn and unlearn. Many times, when going through stress and all, two things work for me: music and taking a walk.

Thank you, Ayansola. I appreciate it so much .

Great choice of activities . I love long distance walking or hiking, and music, too. Stress indeed is prevalent, just like the scripture said “in this word you’ll have trouble but take heart I have overcome the world”

Stay blessed .

4. Aradhana Singh – Poet by heart by soul
    Aradhana Singh says:

Wow

5. Donovan Carper
    Donovan Carper says:

These are great tips!! I think working in secular mental health would be challenging as many of life remedies can be found in scriptures yet in a secular setting it would be difficult to share such. I work in healthcare, so I know a person can still promote values found in scriptures to help others. But yet feel limited regarding how much I can share. Great post and keep it up!!

You’re absolutely right, it is very challenging. Christian values and mental health values quite often clash.

But there are many helpful scripture principles concerning mental and emotional health. Thank you for your thoughtful insights. I truly appreciate it.

You’re more than welcome, dear .

6. Jeff Flesch – Interests include personal, professional, and transformational development, increasing access to higher education, and realizing equity for all.
    Jeff Flesch says:

Lovely post, Marie. Be well.

Thank you, Jeff. The pleasure is mine . Be well, too.