Reflecting on the importance of approaching life with a spirit of Humility You, my brothers and sisters, were called to be free. But do not use your freedom to indulge the flesh; rather, serve one another humbly in love. Galatians 5:13 NIV

Once in a while, it is important to reflect on the importance of humility. Approaching life with a spirit of humility brings you closer to those around you and with God, who appreciates and exalts humbleness from his children.

Recently, I have been doing my daily devotional on humility, and I love this simple definition –“Humility is not thinking less of yourself, it’s thinking of yourself less.” C.S. Lewis

A prideful heart cannot serve God because you cannot look down on others and up to God at the same time. Pride makes you exalt yourself above others, and even belittle them. His commandment says love your neighbor as yourself

“As long as you are proud you cannot know God. A proud man is always looking down on things and people: and, of course, as long as you are looking down you cannot see something that is above you.” C.S. Lewis – Mere Christianity

Stop and simply ask God to help you live a humble life – “Heavenly father humble me”

Pride can hider you from being present in the presence of God – Drew Dickens

Reflect: What (feelings of) pride are you experiencing at this moment?
Consider how easily you talk about yourself?
Do you often think you’re better than others or are supposed to have accomplished more – There is a small difference between ambition and being prideful when experiencing such feelings. Pray that God will give us the wisdom to discern between moderate or harmless ambition and pride.

Humility: Breathing Exercise

Photo by Spencer Selover on Pexels.com

Take a slow, deep belly breath and ask your heavenly father to humble you

Be aware of each breath and allow it to remind you how little control you have. Each unique breath is given by God

The greatest among you will be your servant (Matthew 26:11)

People who lift themselves up be humble and people who humble themselves shall be lifted up (Matthew 23:12)

Refection: How did God Challenge in that reading

I was challenged by his unique approach to life, and greatness. In order for me to become a leader I must be willing to serve, to have a servant’s heart.

Now that I, your Lord and Teacher, have washed your feet, you also should wash one another’s feet. John 13:14 NIV

How to Live a Humble Life: By Mother Theresa (The Joy in loving)

• Speak as little as possible of yourself
  • Mind your own business and not other people’s affairs
  • Accept corrections, insults, injuries cheerfully
  • Accept being slighted, forgotten and disliked
  • Pass over the mistakes of others
  • Be kind and gentle even under propagation
  • Always choose the hard part

In conclusion, remember that we are God’s children, and his delight is for us to love, encourage, and admonish one another as we wait for the coming of Christ. Having a spirit of humility is important as well as striving for a successful life under God’s guidance. Let’s pray that God will teach how to balance ambition and spiritual growth as children of God. Remember that it is a process or marathon, and not a quick fix or sprint

Thank you for reading. This was inspired by Drew Dickens, the founder of ‘Encounter’. May God guide us in our journey of living a humble lifestyle, and loving others as we love ourselves. Stay Blessed Always!

https://theartofchristianliving.blog/2020/06/01/mindful-ways-of-controlling-your-thoughts/ https://www.bible.com/reading-plans/17419-humbling-yourself-before-god

22 thoughts on “Approaching life with a Spirit of Humility

A humble heart honours God.
    I love that first quote by C.S Lewis.
    May we indeed strive to approach our lives with a spirit of humility.
    Thank you for this wonderful reminder.
    Manu .

Thank you, dear. Always appreciate your wonderful insights.

Approaching life with a spirit of humility is very imperative as a believer because ‘A humble heart honors God.’

You’re more than welcome, dear .

2. Bible blogger – I am an encourager. Encouraging fellow bloggers and friends. As we walk our life together. We need each others support and help. Don't worry what comes in your way. God will help you to overcome those obstacles. God bless you.
    Bible blogger says:

This is a great post. Pride goes before destruction. God gives grace to the humble. We should always think that we are nothing more than a speck of dust. The earth is a tiny mud Ball in the universe of God. Then what are we compared to the vastness of the majestic creator and his creation?

You’re right, dear. Humility exalts but pride destroys.

Thanks for your thoughtful insights as always. I appreciate it . Stay blessed

1. Bible blogger – I am an encourager. Encouraging fellow bloggers and friends. As we walk our life together. We need each others support and help. Don't worry what comes in your way. God will help you to overcome those obstacles. God bless you.
        Bible blogger says:

You are so very welcome dear Marie. You are a great expounder. Keep it up.

Thanks for your kind, and encouraging words . I appreciate it so much. God bless you

3. Bible blogger – I am an encourager. Encouraging fellow bloggers and friends. As we walk our life together. We need each others support and help. Don't worry what comes in your way. God will help you to overcome those obstacles. God bless you.
        Bible blogger says:

3. ayansolaibukun – Faith, Relationships, Family, Reviews, Creative Writing

A man who will grow spiritually and make the most of his life will learn humility. Jesus sets a pattern of humility for us as a servant-leader. Since we have his nature today, we ought to walk in the light of who he has made us (humble) to be. Pride is an enemy of progress.

Thank you for the post, Marie.

Thank you for your amazing wisdom, and understanding of the scriptures. I appreciate it a lot .

I love this line “Pride is an enemy of progress”. God exalt the humble always. But, it is truly difficult to live a humble live in this day and age, so many worldly enticement. God is our only hope

You’re always welcome, Ayansola. The pleasure is mine .

1. ayansolaibukun – Faith, Relationships, Family, Reviews, Creative Writing

Very true. Living a humble life is not a walk in the park. However, we are able to keep our sanity and walk as children of light in this crooked world the more we feed our eyes/minds with God’s Word and allow it affect our conducts. We’ll get to a point where we’ll no longer see it as a task to be carried out but a nature to live in.

With God nothing is impossible . The goal is to keep feeding ourselves with God’s unfailing words.

Thank you, Ayansola for the wise advice and wonderful reminder to walk in the light. Always appreciate your thoughtful comments. Stay blessed .

3. ayansolaibukun – Faith, Relationships, Family, Reviews, Creative Writing

You’re welcome!

4. Era – I am Doctor by profession who loves to write poetry and articles , a mental health enthusiastic , nature lover and very much interested in history and mythology .

great post, Marie

Thank you, Era. I appreciate it .

My pleasure

5. Joel Abakah – Words are simply children that my thoughts nurture into phrases and sentences🌸🌸
    Joel Abakah says:

For the past weeks my church has been focusing and preaching on humility. We’ve been using a book written by our founder, Evangelist Dag Heward Mills, titled Formula for Humility.

Lewis’ definition is spot on. Humility should be a core human characteristic… it opens so many doors. Jesus’ life was straight up humility and see how in each aspect of his journey it helped him tremendously.

Thanks for sharing, Jean!

Thank you, Joel for the information. I will check out the book. I love taking refresher courses on humility. It keeps me grounded.

Indeed, C.S. Lewis definition summarized it all for me. It is simple and practical.

May we all learn to gracefully follow in the footsteps of Jesus in living a life of humility .

Once again, thank you for usual thoughtful insights. I appreciate it.

1. Joel Abakah – Words are simply children that my thoughts nurture into phrases and sentences🌸🌸
        Joel Abakah says:

You’re welcome, Jean. And yes kindly check out the book!

6. inspirechief
    inspirechief says:

“Humility is not thinking less of yourself, it’s thinking of yourself less.” C.S. Lewis”
    I struggled with this for most of my life. It hindered my relationship with God. Taking my eyes off me and believing more in myself that I was worthy brought me closer to God. Thank you for your post. Take care.

You’re not alone in this journey. It is a tough one, but God got our back.

C.S. Lewis indeed, was a wise man. His quote perfectly summarizes what it means to be humble.

Thank you so much for your thoughtful insights. I appreciate it. Stay blessed, and take care, too.

7. Donovan Carper
    Donovan Carper says:

Wow! Great post with great quotes!!! Well done and great though conditioners in here for a healthy mindset!!!!!

Thank you so much . I truly appreciate your kind words.

The pleasure is mine as well . Stay blessed