Above all else, guard your heart, for everything you do flows from it. Proverbs 4:23

Hannah works as a paralegal in a very busy law firm and prides herself as a reliable confidante. It is a large law firm consisting of 17 attorneys with 22 Paralegals and legal assistants. Everyone eats lunch at the firm cafeteria where a world-renowned caterer and dietitian offers great food and many healthy choices.  She enjoys her work very much and can’t see herself doing anything else.

Photo by August de Richelieu on Pexels.com

Hannah went to work as usual only to receive a letter. Her heart almost skipped a beat as she read through another dismissal. Full of pain and agony, she knelt down and spread her hands to heavens

“God, I know you are there. You see everything and you can hear me. I don’t understand why; why this is happening again, but I trust you, God.”

She wiped away tears and cleared her desk. The hallway was filled with colleagues and co-workers as she said her goodbyes again, but this time her director was furious and refused to see her off.

When it Costs Everything

There was a lot murmuring, and someone said

“She really deserves it, she behaves as if she’s better than everyone here. Never goes out with us for drinks after work and eats only with Lisa during lunch.”

Others said, “Oh, no, Hannah doesn’t deserve this and it’s not fair. She’s so hardworking, determined and diligent in all her endeavors.”
Hannah had worked for the firm for almost 7 years. She never indulged in anything that troubled her conscience.

Work Environment

Jason, John, & Megan, LLP is a firm bustling with all kinds of gossip and scandal rumors. Because of close-knit ties, many personal and professional boundaries are regularly crossed by superiors and subordinates.

Photo by August de Richelieu on Pexels.com

You either join the drama or risked being cut off. Hannah did everything to guard her heart and integrity even though this angered some contentious coworkers. She had been fired previously, only to begrudgingly rehired by the director because no one in the office can do the job like her, but this time around the director was the one that fired her.

Several months after Hannah was fired an ethical investigation caused the director to resign.

The Moral of the Story

One needs to guard his or her heart, for out it flows everything pertaining to life. Your physical life ends when your heart stops, but it is equally necessary to take care of your heart spiritually and emotionally.

This may require ending some relationships or not visiting places or people that are toxic to your heart. Guarding your heart may require lifestyle changes and it may not be easy but remember nothing done for God is ever wasted.

What you hear and see color your soul and heart. Hannah refused to join the gossip and scandalous culture because she understood that these can be poisonous to her heart and relationship with God.

Guarding her heart may have cost her job, but preserved her integrity as an ambassador for Christ. Hannah was offered her job back after new management took over, but she already started her own private consultant business and many former clients had decided to support her instead.

A small temptation can stop a great glory and turn great joy into a great sorrow. Ernest Agyemang Yeboah

Let’s guard our hearts against negative thoughts, emotions, information, and toxic relationships. To do this we must set boundaries. A life without boundaries can block some opportunities! A mind without boundaries accepts anything and lives in a gullible state!

Thank you for reading. Stay Blessed Always

7 thoughts on “Devotion: Guard Your Heart & Let Your Life Shine

I agree so much with what you wrote Marie. We are to guard our hearts and many a times that will require us to make those choices that can come across to others as weird and ends up with us being the isolated one. The story is wrote was good and quite relatable. God sees it all and like you wrote nothing done for God is ever wasted.
    Blessings to you dear friend

Thank you so much dear. I truly appreciate your thoughtful insights. Guarding our hearts requires a lot of decision making and most of the time they are unfavorable.

God’s rewards are better than temporary earthly pleasures.

Thank you, dear and stay blessed.

2. BG – Dad, Papaw, Us Army Veteran, Honorable Discharge. Former - Administrative Assistant, Univ of TN Knxvle Journalism, IBM Word Perfect, Associate Publisher, Management, Supervising, Data Control Operator. Vista Volunteer, Pastoral Work and Youth Ministry, Sunday School Teacher. Presently attend I Heart Church at Mount Hope WV, Prayer Team. Work with Young Life Raleigh County WV, Committee Member and Prayer Coordinator. Like art, singing, traveling, reading, antiquing, basketball and soccer.
    BG says:

Guard that heart with all diligence! Everything is a matter of heart!

Thank you, BG , for the great insight. You’re absolutely right.

3. Ancient Skies – East Coast – Poetry, love, nature, compassion, spirituality, culture. I'm always learning and growing. Welcome to my journey.

Wonderful insights.

Thanks dear. That means a lot to me.

1. Ancient Skies – East Coast – Poetry, love, nature, compassion, spirituality, culture. I'm always learning and growing. Welcome to my journey.