Action may not always bring happiness, but there is no happiness without action. – William James

Lying dormant is not our default, we were created to strive for something. Motivation helps us to take action for the betterment of our lives.  Though our actions may not always bring the desired results – happiness, pleasure, advancement etc – inaction does not provide happiness or fulfillment either. Self-motivation of any kind is better than passivity or inaction.

We must know and understand human motivation to find ways of increasing that motivation for our good. There are effective types of motivation that can handle our complex natures and ever-changing environment and ineffective motivation that may hider progress.

Photo by Ylanite Koppens on Pexels.com

Why Is Motivation Important?

Motivation can be described as an internal process. Whether we define it as a drive or a need, motivation is a condition inside us that desires a change, either in the self or the environment. When we tap into this well of energy, motivation endows the person with the drive and direction needed to engage with the environment in an adaptive, open-ended, and problem-solving sort of way (Reeve, 2018).

When we grasp the concept of motivation, this leads to unpacking the complexity of human nature. “It explains why we set goals, strive for achievement and power, why we have desires for psychological intimacy and biological sex, why we experience emotions like fear, anger, and compassion.”  Beata Souders

Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for human masters Colossian 3:23

You cannot afford to miss the insights from learning and understanding the source of motivation, why it changes, and what causes increases and decreases. It is also important to know what facets of motivation can or cannot be changed. This allows you to realize how far to push or when to stop.

The Benefit of Motivation

The greatest thief this world has ever produced is procrastination, and he is still at large. – Josh Billings

“Motivation reflects something unique about each one of us and allows us to gain valued outcomes like improved performance, enhanced well-being, personal growth, or a sense of purpose”. – Beata Souders

Motivation allows us to change thinking patterns, feelings (emotions) and behaviors. For example, you procrastinate about doing an assignment, but if you become motivated you feel excited (feelings).  Thoughts and ideas (thinking) begin to flow which leads you to take your laptop (behavior), and start working on your assignment.

It Requires Daily Intake

Photo by Alysha Rosly on Unsplash

“People often say motivation doesn’t last. Neither does bathing — that’s why we recommend it daily.” Zig Ziglar

It is your responsibility to seek motivation daily in whatever forms work for you. It may not last as long as you’d like, but once you’re motivated, take action!

In conclusion, understanding motivation and what motivates you can help you stay on top as a creative person. It can transcend into A unified flowing from one moment to the next, in which we feel in control of our actions, and in which there is little distinction between self and environment; between stimulus and response; or between past, present, and future” (Csíkszentmihályi, 1997, p. 37).

Thank you for reading, stay motivated, and don’t forget to “Take Action” for your happiness and success in life.  In the future, I would like to provide helpful tips on how to find what motivates you. Stay Blessed Always!

13 thoughts on “Motivation: Need to Have It, Need to Know It

1. Rishika Jain – I am just a kid who is trying to find her way in the world.
    Rishika Jain says:

Amazing!

Thanks dear. Have a wonderful day.

1. Rishika Jain – I am just a kid who is trying to find her way in the world.
        Rishika Jain says:

You too!

2. Meetali – Writer|| Photography I write things which I don't say out loud. I am even a photographer, where every picture has a story to tell
    Meetali says:

That’s so true.. motivation is really important these to deal with such situation and even other scenario of life to deal with.

Thank you, dear. I’m glad you find it resourceful. Indeed, we need to be motivated every day to handle the obstacles of life.

3. Era – I am Doctor by profession who loves to write poetry and articles , a mental health enthusiastic , nature lover and very much interested in history and mythology .

Very well written

You’re welcome

4. Ancient Skies – East Coast – Poetry, love, nature, compassion, spirituality, culture. I'm always learning and growing. Welcome to my journey.

Wonderful wisdom.

1. Ancient Skies – East Coast – Poetry, love, nature, compassion, spirituality, culture. I'm always learning and growing. Welcome to my journey.

5. The Hummingbird's Journal – Here at The Hummingbird’s Journal blog, you’ll find the perfect read that goes with your cafecito ☕ . The read's secret ingredients? Positive vibes & rays of hope. Welcome.
    The Hummingbird's Journal says:

Thank you for reminding me of the importance of taking action for happiness and success in life!

You’re welcome, dear. The pleasure is mine